Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my 10 year old Chihauhau has had an attack of some sort and

Customer Question

my 10 year old Chihauhau has had an attack of some sort and feinted had a small sqeal could not stand up, I massaged her chest just below rib gage she is up again but wobbly on legs and panting a lot. She does on occasions have a rasping cough as though she is trying to clear troat.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Sabbie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

If you look at her gums, are they pink in color?

It sounds like she experienced syncope (SIN ko pee), or fainting from a lack of blood to her brain. If she has an irregular hear beat, this can happen.

If her gums were pale during the episode, that is the most likely explanation. If her gums are still pale in color, and not returning to normal bright pink, that is a concern.

It sounds like she needs to have her heart checked: EKG to identify the arrhythmia, a chest Xray to evaluate the size of her heart and if there is fluid in her lungs causing the raspy cough you have seen, and possibly an echocardiogram to evaluate her heart and heart valves.

She may need to be started on heart medication to prevent this from happening again.

Until you can get her to your vet, I would keep her quiet, no exercise today. If she continues to pant or if her gums continue to look pale and not pink in color, I would consider having her checked today if possible.

Please let me know if this is helpful, and what other questions you have.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Roy,
How is Sabbie today?

Rebecca