Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my Labrador has got sticky eyes, abit like infection.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Jack.
Yes, it is quite possible that he may have a conjunctivitis.
However, with labradors, because they run around a lot, I tend to see a lot of injuries as well. So, for example, a dog running through bushes, plants, etc..can often scratch their eyes causing a corneal ulcer. This also results in inflammation and/or infection, and you see that sticky thick or watery eye discharge.

So, definitely, this is well worth a vet visit.
Eye Stain Test for Ulcers

The eye stain test mentioned above is a very common test to help know what eye medication is okay to be prescribed.

Options to try and manage a eye problem at home:
1. If available, and especially if there is any rubbing of the face or scratching, a E-collar (elizabethan collar or cone head) is a must!
2. Warm compress the eye with a cloth for a few minutes.
3. You can flush the eye of any discharge using warm water or an over-the-counter sterile saline solution. Often, can be found at any pharmacy or grocery store. Nothing medicated. Only saline.

Sorry to hear about the eye concern. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy