Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

When I rub the left side of my dogs head he scrunched up his

When I rub the left side of my dogs head he scrunched up his face and sneezes. This hasn't been an issue before. He had been playing with some other dogs today, is it possible this is signs of a head injury... Boxers play quite rough
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

This does not sound like a head injury but possibly something such as a foreign body is under his gum line or in his nasal passage on that side. If you are able to do a thorough look through his mouth that would be great.

Dr. Altman :

Monitor for any nasal discharge, particularly on the side he likes to rub his head and if it progresses to color (green, yellow, red) then it is time to have him seen

Dr. Altman :

Also take a close look at the white of his eye on that side. Often if he took a tumble or hit his head hard the white of the eye is reddened (more than usual for a Boxer) comparable to a black eye in a person

Dr. Altman :

Massaging his head see if there is any spots that are more tender, have any swelling when comparing to the other side, or has increased heat. If these are seen, he becomes lethargic, the sneezing is not improving, or he goes off his food it would be best to have him evaluated

Dr. Altman :

One other thing you can try just in case he did get something up that nostril is taking him into the bathroom with the steam of the shower. This dilates the nasal passages so that when he does sneeze perhaps whatever might be up there is sneezed out

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: I have had a look at him. The whites of his eyes are equal on both sides. I can't tell if he has any increased heat in the area as he has been lying on that side so it's hotter anyway. He is particularly sensitive when I touch the muscle directly above his left eye though no swelling is noticeable. It's like I'm literally hitting a nerve when I touch that area. He has no nasal discharge but I will keep an eye out and see if he developes any.
Dr. Altman :

Luckily there are no big nerves that run along that area, primarily below the eye and along the masseter muscles so hopefully he did just have hit there and will be back to normal tomorrow. Definitely still monitor that eye, make sure the pupils are equal and reactive to light

Dr. Altman :

You can use a cool wet rag placed in the freezer for an hour over the region of discomfort for ten minute intervals the rest of the day to relieve some of the discomfort if he will allow you to

Customer: Ok thank you. I will take your advice on board. 6 months ago he broke his jaw jumping through a door and never showed any sign of pain or discomfort so it's extremely hard to tell if anything is wrong with him. Thanks again.
Dr. Altman :

LOL sounds like a Boxer!