Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi a couple of hours ago my bijon friesse ate a homemade burger

Customer Question

Hi a couple of hours ago my bijon friesse ate a homemade burger with maybe 10g onions In it or maybe a little more
She is 3 years old and weighs 9 kg shall I take her to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

I would not worry about a small amount of onion from a burger, this will be very unlikely to have affected your dog at all. The situation is that onions can be toxic to dogs due thiosulphate poisoning, however I am glad to say that it actually takes quite a lot of onions to be toxic to dogs, the rule of thumb which I personally apply is that a single meal of one pound of onions can be dangerous to a 15 pound dog. { Which is quite a small dog }

Scott Nimmo :

Your dog weighs around 19 pounds by the way ...

Scott Nimmo :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne here is that this incident is not going to affect your dog so there is no need for you to do anything here, you can safely forget the issue ...

Customer: I thank you so very much for your reply in reassuring me as I have been so so worried as this has never happened
Customer: before.
Scott Nimmo :

No worries she should be just fine ....

Customer: Thank you
Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Scott Nimmo :

I will sign off now so you do not incur further charges, kindest regards, Scott.

Hello again ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on your dog's progress, { Not that I expect any problems with such a small amount of onions } and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Hello again,

I am just getting back in touch to see how your dog is getting on after the onions incident.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Scott
Just to let you know that your reply was absolutely correct haven't had
Any problems whatsoever!
Thank you so much one again
Christall
That's what I like to hear Christall .. :-)

Regards,

Scott