Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my whippet is and have been vomiting for 3 days now, not eating

Customer Question

my whippet is and have been vomiting for 3 days now, not eating , very lethargic. drinking water and vomiting straight away, liquid brown vomit. what is wrong with her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn your dog is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?
2- Is she spayed?
3- Is she drinking more than usual?
4- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is 14 years old,

she is not spayed

she does not drinking more then usual, although every time she vomit she seem to need a drink after.

as far as we know she have not had any food she wasn't use to.

she did have problems with her immune cells about 4/5 years ago when her claws grow and flaked and bleed (her own immune cells have been attacking her, so we have been told.there was a name for it but i need to look for her papers to find out what it was.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is the name of the problem she had Lupus?
2- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes that was the name of the problem then.

she generally weigh between 13 to 15 killos however she lost a lot in the last 3 days and you can see the outline of her spine and ribs.she isn't big or fat dog any way but now she look anorexia

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, vomiting as you may know it is not a disease but a symptom of another underlying problem either in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. I am a bit concern of the fact that she has been vomiting for 3 days without eating, in any case with this history the dog will be severely dehydrated and with electrolyte imbalance, this can be life threatening if not treated regardless of what is making her vomit.
As far as possible causes for vomiting, there are many. In an older patient we have to rule out systemic diseases like kidney or liver failure, tumors, etc.
In this case, there is really not much you will be able to do at home that is going to have a significant therapeutic benefit. She needs to be seen by a veterinarian to start her on IV fluids while the vet does some testing (blood work and +/-xrays) to determine the exact underlying cause of the vomiting. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. If cost is a concern consider looking into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do know that she must go to the vet, it just that it is Easter weekend and there for i can't take her until tomorrow. thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry, OK, this is what you can do in the meantime:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. In addition, start her on Meclizine 50mg every 24 hours. You can find these medications over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). These will help to control the vomiting.

2- No food or water for 2-3 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest so that when you do offer water you can ensure that she will not vomit and absorb the fluid.

3- After 2-3 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer another small amount of water, if no vomiting continue to offer small amounts of water through out the day. In addition, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

To give the pills without food this is what you do:

1- Open her mouth.
2- Then, place the pill as far back on the base of the tongue and hold her mouth closed.
3- While holding the mouth closed direct the nose up and rub the throat to stimulate swallowing.

Dr. Peter