Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi! I have a 12year old cross collie. After her annual routine

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 12year old cross collie. After her annual routine examination she was showing signs of arthritis in her rear right hip. Over the last couple of months she has struggled to stand after lying down for a period of time but once up on her feet moved reasonably freely she yelped a couple of times. Over the last couple of days she simply doesn't want to stand up but she hasn't yelped in any pain. I will take her to the vet tomorrow (bank holiday today) Can you reccommend any medication freely available that might help her in the mean time? thanks! matt
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Holly is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Is she eating and drinking?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is she currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?
5- How much does she weigh?
6- Is she able to walk if you help her up?
7- Has she urinated?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. no

2. She's off her food and drink but she has eaten a few biscuits this morning when hand fed.

3.no.

4.no.

5. i don't know her weight but doesn't appear to be overweight

6. Yes but would rather lie back down.

7. She hasn't urinated in her basket or anywhere she shouldn't i've picked her up and helped her stand and she has limped outside in the garden. So i suppose the answer would have to be no to my knowledge.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Matt, it sounds like she is uncomfortable in her hips with the arthritis. This is what you can do:

1- Start her on Buffered Aspirin 10mg per kilogram body weight every 12 hours with some food. You can find buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- Get her to drink by giving her water. Offer a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.
3- To support her hips you can place a towel under her belly as far back near the back legs; this will help her support the hips and walk to urinate.

To give the aspirin this is what you do:

1- You can place the pill in a little bit of peanut butter or pass it by a little bit of butter.
2- Then, open her mouth and place the pill as far back on the base of the tongue and hold the mouth closed.
3- While holding the mouth closed direct the nose up and rub her throat to stimulate swallowing.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help Dr. Peter we'll follow your advice and hopefully this will help her.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Matt, I am online for most of the day if you have additional questions, just follow this thread. Best of Luck!

Dr. Peter