Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is a 9year old English springer he is 28kg. He has just

My dog is a 9year old English springer he is 28kg. He has just stollen and eaten a cooked piece of pork shoulder about 1kg. He appears to be okay but 4 years ago he stole a cooked ham joint and was seriously ill. His insurance won't cover anything to do with his digestion
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

As you may already know ingestion of a bone can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bone without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change his diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barney hasn't swallowed a bone but a whole joint of cooked pork without the bone. Is there anything I should do or look for
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
How was the pork seasoned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No added seasoning just plain roast without crackling
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Pam, thank you for the clarification, that is even better. The fact that there was no bone or seasoning highly unlikely for this to cause any problems in Barney. If he develops vomiting and diarrhea follow the recommendations below. Otherwise, for now just observe him. If you do not see any symptoms after 12-24 hours, highly unlikely you will see any symptoms. This is what you can do if he does develop vomiting or diarrhea:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist)
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Dr. Peter