Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi sorry to bother you, I am concerned for my 1yr old Maltese,

Hi sorry to bother you, I am concerned for my 1yr old Maltese, she has bad diareah a bit yesterday and a lot today she is also being sick and looks so sad, her eyes are seeping and sad, her nose is now getting dry. I have come downstairs to check on her and there is a bit of blood in one of her poops?
If it wasn't 2am would not hesitate to go to vet.. Wasn't sure if it's a bug as we have been walking heaps this week and met a lot of other dogs, or more serious
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sure that you are correct and that she has picked up a little bug on one of her walks. Bright red blood in the stool is not the serious emergency that it is in humans. As long as she's not vomiting repeatedly or becoming unresponsive then you don't need to rush her off to the vet. If you have any Kaolin in the house (kaopectate) you can give her 5mls by mouth. If you don't have this that is ok just keep her snuggled up to her water bottle and have her see the vet in the morning if she is still having diarrhea or still seems to be sad and sick.

I hope this helps, fi not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan