DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

My 8 year old German Shepherd has skin allergies, & suffers

My 8 year old German Shepherd has skin allergies, & suffers weekly bouts of delaying his food has a very gurgling stomach, loose stools with mucus slight spots of fresh blood this often leads to a trip to the vet, he has had several blood test & has now in past year been having monthly injections of b12, which has not made any difference they say its a build up of bacteria, no weight loss, & occasionally he might vomit he will always eat in the evening but will go off morning food when he has these episodes, I find them very distressing, the vet will give him antibiotics on occasions but we can not keep going on like this, any advise would be helpful
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Jake

DR.J :

would you mid answering some questions first

DR.J :

1. How long has he been suffering from skin conditions

DR.J :

2. how long has he been suffering from intestinal issues ?

DR.J :

3. what medications is he getting besides the B12 shot ?

DR.J :

4. what type of food is he eating (is he getting any of your own food , do you mix his food with several other types) ?

DR.J :

5. could you recall what blood tests you vet did (could you as well recall the results ) ?

DR.J :

* you mention you feed him royal canine sensitivity, do you stick only to that or do you add anything to it and how long have you been feeding it to him?

DR.J :

I shall be awaiting you answer

Customer:

Skin condition every summer for 3 years, has melasab shampoo & sometime fucidine cream, intestinal about 4-5 years full blood count test on pancreas several times, they found a deficiency in b12 & bacteria,& think he is allergic to grass , he also has a condition in his anal gland for 4 years can not spell it & was on steroids that has not flared up for 2iyears I always make sure that area is clean just b12 monthly at the moment, just Royal Canine never our food

DR.J :

Thank you for you answer

DR.J :

when he was on steroids , did it help ?

DR.J :

Was he not showing any signs of intestinal disease ?

Customer:

Yes he always responded well, so the vet was pleased as they said he might have to have expensive medication for life

DR.J :

Thank you for your response

Customer:

I have to go to work now, so can I carry on later

DR.J :

I shall write some information now and you can get back to me later

DR.J :

I shall refer to the intestinal issue first

Customer:

DR.J :

It seems that the treatment Jake is getting helps him only for a short while and then it all comes back again no matter what . He has been treated with antibiotics and other supportive substances but it would seem that they only help dealing with the infection part of things and not the major cause of the problem

DR.J :

I very much suspect a condition called Canine Lymphocytic-Plasmacytic Gastroenteritis.

DR.J :

this is a condition in which the intestines constantly suffer from overactive immune cells which damage it in a scene and making it more preamble . it's abit more complicated but the end result if not treated is chronic diarrhea and at times even vomiting.

DR.J :

this conditions goes under the general group of diseases called IBD - irritable bowel disease (same as in humans) and German Shepards are known to suffer from it

DR.J :

Taking into consideration his tendencies to developing allergic reactions - which is on its own considered an autoimmune disease (similar to IBD) , I would list Canine Lymphocytic-Plasmacytic Gastroenteritis on the top of my list

DR.J :

There is no cure for the condition but only right management in order to minimize the symptoms .

DR.J :

In the matter of diagnosing the condition 100% there is only one thing we can do and that is to grab a small sample of the intestines by performing and endoscopy - this sample will later be sent to a pathologist who would be able to tell us if this is indeed the condition (this would be beneficial in diagnosing other conditions as well which have to do with the gut !) .

DR.J :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX :

DR.J :

1. diet is the most important . It could be that RC sensitivity is not enough for Jake's delicate intestines and you better move to RC hypoallergenic which works wonder on skin and very sensitive intestines (at times better the RC intestinal !). And sticking only to it with out a crumb of anything else getting in.

DR.J :

2. to calm the system down it is worth while a low dose steroid course of treatment . Even though steroids have a bad reputation - they are still the drug of choice when considering this type of conditions and give great relief to owner and pet . Another drug you might wish to try would be azathioprine , it works similarly to steroids but lacks many of their side effects . not all vets hold them and they cost substantially more the steroids.

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

BTW - this type of treatment is for life as the disease will always be present .

DR.J :

In case you have any further questions , please let me know and I shall do my best to be back ASAP .

DR.J :

I wish you both all the best

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

please don't forget to rate us before you leave our chat