Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

have got a leonberger who has started drinking loads of water

Customer Question

He is having long wees and has no energy he is sleeping nearly
all day and when walking him he is so slow .Have had blood test
done came back all ok any ideas he is 8 years old
thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bengie. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I see that blood tests were done, and they were "OK". It would help to know exactly what blood tests were done, and what the results were. Can you possibly get a copy of the tests?

Was a urinalysis done? if not, that would be my next step. It would help to know if his urine has any protein, or blood cells in it. He could have a bladder infection, or be losing protein in the urine. You can't tell these thing from blood tests.

There are many things that would make a dog drink a lot, urinate a lot, and have low energy. Kidney disease, hormone imbalances, high blood calcium, adrenal gland or thyroid disease, even cancer. Some of these might be on the blood tests that were done, but maybe not all of them, depending on which blood tests were done. Some of these do not show up on blood tests.

If he were my dog, I would review the blood tests that were done closely. I would do a urinalysis. If those were 100% normal, then I would next have an ultrasound done of his abdomen.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Gill,
Hoe is Bengie doing?

Rebecca