Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 13year old yorkie thinks its ok to just whenever he

Customer Question

My 13year old yorkie thinks it's ok to just pee whenever he wants to.just last night in the kitchen by my feet on the mat he weed,I just ignored him and wiped it up.we had a rotti ,but 6months ago was put to sleep,he was doing it then so it couldn't of been her .somebody came to visit and he did a big puddle on the living room floor,plus he will just wee on settee then walk away as if nothing as happened
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your Yorkie. I am also sorry about your Rottie.

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is this something new for him, or has he always done this? I see it has been going on at least 6 months since you lost your Rottie, but how long has he been doing it?

This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.

Rebecca

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No majority of the time he's been a clean dog but it's mainly been the past 1 year and seems to be oblivious to the fact it's wrong. It's like he can't control his bladder, he will just stand up on the sofa and wee and walk away
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

There are many things that could cause this: bladder infection, kidney disease, diabetes, Cushing's disease (over active adrenal glands). He could be "incontinent", meaning the nerves to and from the bladder don't work correctly so he does not know that his bladder is full, or that is he urinating.

The place to start is by doing a urinalysis, to look for things like blood, protein, sugar, infection, crystals in the urine, or for poorly concentrated urine.

If the urine is concentrated, and nothing abnormal is found, my next step would be to do blood tests.

This could be behavior problem, but that would not be likely if this only started a year ago. There is probably a physical reason, and a urinalysis is the place to begin to find the cause.

Let me know if this is helpful, and if there is anything else I can answer.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca