drlittlepaws
drlittlepaws, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian - cats, dogs, and small mammal exotics
66195135

My 1year old Chihuahua has a bald patch but no dry skin or

Customer Question

My 1year old Chihuahua has a bald patch but no dry skin or itching can u help
Category: Dog
Expert:  drlittlepaws replied 3 years ago.

drlittlepaws :

Can you provide me with some additional information on Jamie so that I can give you a better idea of what's causing his hair loss? Where is this bald spot and approximately what size is it? Has he had any history of skin conditions before? Is the skin red at all or is there any flaking around the edges of the bald spot?

drlittlepaws :

I see you are offline so I will pause the chat timer and keep my eye on the computer to see if you come back online tonight. If not, no worries - just reply to this thread and if we run out of time I will switch the chat over to question and answer mode for you so we can converse back and forth.

JACUSTOMER-34qhxlcq- :

Jamie's bald patch is about 2inc by 2inch no redness or flakey scaps or skin it dosent seem to bother him and is avery happy dog

JACUSTOMER-34qhxlcq- :

jamie is a very happy dog he has no redness ordry flakey skin its about 2inch by 2inch

drlittlepaws :

Sorry to get back to you so late! If the bald spot is on the top of his head it could be just hereditary alopecia which is just a benign cosmetic hair loss some chihuahuas get, it spreads to a point then stops, the skin is always calm. Some clients will try an oral melatonin supplement to help with the hair loss on top of the head, but most just leave it be since it's a cosmetic thing only. It could also just be a seasonal alopecia, some dogs will get spots of hair thinning - usually on one or both of the sides of their body behind the ribs. Seasonal alopecia is as the name suggests, seasonal and should resolve on its own. As long as the skin is calm with this condition and not itchy, it is cosmetic as well. Melatonin has also been suggested for this as well to help.

drlittlepaws :

Regardless, I know it's not itchy, but I would really consider taking Jaime to the vet so they can rule out ringworm as a cause of the hair loss. Ringworm can look kind of benign and not be very itchy, but it can be contagious to people, so it's best to rule that out first.

drlittlepaws :

Hope this helps. I'm off work all weekend, so if you have a follow up question, I should be able to provide a more prompt reply =)