Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

why has my dog got diarrhea even after being treated by the

why has my dog got diarrhea even after being treated by the vet ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sorry to hear that Bruce (is this your dog's name?) hasn't responded to your veterinarian's treatments. The fact that she still has diarrhea is that the treatment just hasn't had a chance to be effective, or that the cause of her diarrhea is as yet undiagnosed.

Dr. Barbara :

Did your vet run a fecal culture to determine if her diarrhea is from a bacterial infection and if so to what antibiotic it is sensitive?

Dr. Barbara :

Has Bruce been dewormed with a good general dewormer? Parasitic eggs and larvae don't always show up in a fecal test.

Dr. Barbara :

What was the antibiotic that your vet chose for Bruce and how long was she on it?

Customer:

yes bruce has been wormed yes he had a fecal culture done and the antibiotics he was on was called stomorgyl and was on them for 10 days

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response! Sounds like you are getting good care there. . .just not effective yet! When treatments aren't effective then either the stomorgyl wasn't a correct antibiotic. . .aimed at treating intestinal infection here, or there is another organ system that is causing the diarrhea like pancreatitis or hepatitis (liver disease).

Dr. Barbara :

Did Bruce have a blood profile and a urinalysis run also? These would be done to make sure his other organ systems aren't causing the diarrhea. How old is Bruce? Also, what are his stools like? Are they completely watery or are they cowpie-like? Is there any blood or mucus in his stool? Does he have any straining?

Dr. Barbara :

I need to be off line for a couple of hours, but I'll check back here right away after that. Thanks for your answers. . ..

Dr. Barbara :

Just checking back in. Hopefully, you are having a good night's sleep and I'll hear from you in the morning. I am in California so you are 8 hours ahead of me.