Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog ate a small milk chocolate easter egg about 3 hours

Customer Question

My dog ate a small milk chocolate easter egg about 3 hours ago. He has since drank plenty of water and vomited. He seems fine and happy now. Do you think he is ok?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Can you please tell me how many ounces the egg was and how much Smudge weighs?

Customer:

Smudge weighs 12 kilos and the egg was about 100 grams. He ate about 75 grams of the egg. It was milk chocolate

Dr. Altman :

OK please give me a few moments to convert that information. I will be right back!

Dr. Altman :

You are in luck, the amount ingested was 13.9 mg/kg of theobromide. This means that you are likely seeing the worst of it, he may have some loose stool for a few days but mild signs typically start at 20 mg/kg and he is will below that amount

Dr. Altman :

I would consider reducing his meals by 25% for a few days and supplementing him with 1/4 cup white rice cooked to help settle his stomach and firm up his stools but the more mild signs of vomiting, diarrhea, increased water intake are very common and should resolve within the first 24 hours

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions today

Customer:

Thank you that is very reassuring

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome :)