Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

what would be the problem my shitzu has had bleeding from

what would be the problem my shitzu has had bleeding from his bum !!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is there blood when he defecates or blood is pouring out when at rest?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Can you check the anal area for any swelling or skin rupture that could be responsible for the bleeding?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only a little he kept licking himself so hard to see but he shaky of himself too I

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Louise, the blood can be coming from a ruptured or infected anal glands; other possible causes could be: Infections, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. Casper is going to need a hands on examination by family veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not let him lick the butt area or he is going to make it worst. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking.

2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- If you find that the bleeding is coming from the intestinal tract supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity/inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter