Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my 13 year old jack russel as just started out of the blue

my 13 year old jack russel as just started out of the blue dropping to the floor as if shot as quick as that, she is floppy for only a few seconds I pick her up stand her up and she is fine, otherwise she eats well, plays with her toys, goes for walks etc, it doesn't happen all the time, perhaps once a week,

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

How long ago did this start?

Customer:

about 2 weeks ago

Scott Nimmo :

Ok, one of the things that this could be and something I have often seen in older dogs is some form of congestive cardiac failure, in the early stages this can lead to small fainting fits such as you describe.

Scott Nimmo :

If this is the case prescription heart meds from your vet can often make a big difference ...

Scott Nimmo :

Another possibility would be some form of neurological disease, perhaps as a result of a minis stroke or even the start of a brain tumour but hopefully this is unlikely

Hello again Amy,

Lets continue to chat this way ...
Hello again Amy,

Well I have outlined the two main types of causes you may encounter with this type of symptom but unfortunately there is little you can hope to do on a home remedy basis in terms of diagnosis and treatment.

I wish I could suggest more but your best plan is to have Meg checked over by a vet and take it from there ...

Regards,

Scott