Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my little Maltese has a lump above her tummy and is weeing

Customer Question

my little Maltese has a lump above her tummy and is weeing tiny amounts often
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where exactly is the lump located?
2- Is the lump above or below the skin?
3- How long has she had the lump?
4- Is it bothering her?
5- How long has she been urinating frequently?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Above her tummy on almost central but a little to the left

2 Below the skin

3 Only noticed the lump three weeks ago

4 Not bothering her

5 She's been weeing frequently for about a month and a half

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is the lump involving her mammary gland?
2- Is it firmly attach to the underlying tissue?
3- Has it grown in the last 3 weeks?
4- Is she drinking more than usual?
5- Is she spayed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 Yes

2 Yes

3 Yes i think so

4 Yes

5 Yes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Dawn, the growth that you are describing is consistent with a tumor. The big question is? Is this a malignant growth or benign. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.
As far as her urinating more frequently, this is direct reflection of her drinking more than usual. Common causes for her drinking more than usual are: Infections (UTI), hormonal disorders, kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause she will need to have some blood work and urinalysis by family veterinarian. Unfortunately, there is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home. Treatment for Angel will be based on clincal findings and test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have got an appointment to see our vet on Monday now. Am just praying little Angel will be okay and that they can treat her. Am in tears but would so like to thank you for your kindness and help, Dawn and Angel

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Dawn, there is no need to be in tears. She is going to be fine, we have a lot of treatment options for the possible underlying causes that we discussed. She could have a simple urinary tract infection and a benign lump. Let's just wait. Please keep me posted.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter