Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi have found a lump which is getting bigger under her front

Customer Question

Hi have found a lump which is getting bigger under her front right leg.the lump is at the junction of her leg and chest.would be grateful for your advice.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern or Suzie.
Well, sometimes, the squishy tumors/masses in this area can be lipomas, or fatty tumors that are benign. However, that is not always the case.
Generally, a vet would start with a simple fine needle aspirate test to get a better idea of what it may be.

Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

Now, if not definitive, than a biopsy under sedation would be necessary. But, got to start somewhere. Veterinary examination first. It may be very simple for the vet, and sometimes, they will predict what it is based on sight and feel. But, in that location, I wouldn't take any risks. Better to get evaluated before growing any more making surgery more difficult.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome David.
Good Luck!
Please remember to provide a feedback rating before leaving. Greatly appreciated.
Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance? I was not sure if my answer was satisfactory.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi sorry for not getting back to you we were away at weekend but got suzie checked at local vets on Monday and you were right it is just a fatty lump.many thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome David.
Dr. Andy