Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My 9 year old German Shepard eats poop, mostly foxes I think,

My 9 year old German Shepard eats poop, mostly foxes I think, he then gets bad diarrhoea. It's happening a lot lately, although I always check the garden, it's not always possible to see where it is.
Is there anything I can give him to help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years.

Eating fecal material can be a bad habbit in dogs and hard to break. It can lead to diarrhea in a few ways. There are parasites that are fecally shed, most commonly giardia, but other too. It can also lead to general stomach upset and upset the balance of bacteria in the intestine. This is often called bacterial overgrowth.

You should have a fecal evaluation done to check for parasite and then dewormers can specifically target any parasites present. If you can take a fecal into a vet I would start there. But until you do that , you can treat for bacterial overgrowth at home.

Bacterial overgrowth can often be resovled by feeding a bland diet (usually white rice and low fat cottage cheese or chicken breast meat with no skin) and a probiotic. You can find probiotics at most feed stores or I like FortiFlora. You can get fortiflora on Amazon.com. Feed that in several small meals a day until the diarrhea resolves. Once the stools are normal, you can keep him on the fortiflora to help prevent diarrhea from comming back.

If this doesn't work, get the fecal done. If there are no parasites on the fecal then you have to consider other possible causes of diarrhea that don't involve dietary indiscression.

I hope that answers your question, but if you have additional questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Dr. Stacy