Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi. My dog is in pain. She cannot put her back legs under

Hi. My dog is in pain. She cannot put her back legs under her. I am not sure if her abdomen is darker. Help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- To make sure I got this right, she is not able to use neither of her back legs, correct?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is she on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I brought her for a walk along the canal about 7.30pm. She swims in the canal - jumps in and climbs out. She was tired coming home but it was her second walk so I put it down to that. Now I am afraid she injured herself?

About 10pm she was unable to go upstairs. She is able to move position but it hurts her. I don't know if it is her lower abdomen or her legs/hips that is the problem. I don't know if she hurt herself or picked up an infection? She is not on any medication. She is spayed about 3 years. She does have an auto immune thing - possibly something called pemphigus? This has not been a problem for 18mths.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is she able to walk?
2- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is in pain if she tries to get up. She can change position but it hurts her. She weighs about 30 kilos. She is a kinda of a labrador mix.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Emer, with a history of swimming it is possible she could have pinched a nerve along the back that is affecting her back legs. Or, she could have injured her hip.
The best option for Snowy is having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian and starting her on prescription medication if the vet finds that her symptoms are consistent with a pinch nerve as a result of a bulging disc. You see, the longer this goes untreated the worst the prognosis; for this reason it is best to not wait. If you do not have access to ER vet you can give her Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours, follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I texted the emergency vet at 2am. Do you think it is ok to wait until the morning? I could phone them about 8am? I am worried because she is in pain but I don't want to wake someone if it won't harm Snowy to wait?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
If you do have access to ER vet I would definitely call him/her. If this is related to pinched nerve waiting can be bad for her. They can start her on better prescription medication than aspirin. For sure, that is the best option; do not start aspirin and have her checked immediately by ER vet.

Please replay if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter