Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, My 6 month old lab has eaten 9 neotigason 10mg capsules,

Customer Question

My 6 month old lab has eaten 9 neotigason 10mg capsules, used by my wife for psoriasis.
He seems ok after food this morning and a good walk. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ..My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Neotigason capsules contain the active ingredient acitretin, which is a type of medicine known as a retinoid. These have have a structure similar to vitamin A and are not that toxic to dogs

Scott Nimmo :

In one study I have read up on dogs were given 30 mg / kg fro more than a year without major side efects

Scott Nimmo :

Given the size of your dog I do not think that this incident on a one off basis is going to affect your dog adversely

Scott Nimmo :

All you need do is to keep an eye on Rolo just in case and of course contact a vet without delay if any odd symptoms arise but this would be very unlikely

Scott Nimmo :

I think that is your question covered, can I help you further ...?

Customer:

He is a typical Lab and will eat anythining that stops still long enough. I will keep an eye on him.

Scott Nimmo :

That's Labs for you ... :-)

Customer:

Thank you Scott, you ave been very helpful.

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Customer:

I will rate you now, goodbye.

Hello again Julian,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Rolo's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours today so please get straight back to me if things have changed and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Hello again Julian,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Rolo is getting on after the neotigason incident.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott,

thanks for getting back to me.

Rolo is fine, however after walks yesterday morning I notice his eyes swelling up and red. It may have been something from the walk , but i took him to the Vets last night and they gave him an injection plus some drops and an anti scratch collar. I have to take him back tonight but he seems a lot better. the collar stayed on for about 5 minutes, and trying to put drops in his eyes at 5.30am this morning was like wrestling with a bull elephant as I am sure you know.

Below is the url for Rolo's facebook page so you can see him if you wish.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rolo/1431322483753958?ref=hl

thanks again.

Julian

Thanks so much for the update Julian, I have just had a look at his Facebook page, nice looking dog ...

Regards,

Scott