Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Cavalier King Charles has recently had his coat trimmed

My Cavalier King Charles has recently had his coat trimmed and his anal glands checked and now his anus is inflamed and obviously sore - what to do please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has he been licking his anus?
2- What is the name or ingredients of the cream you have been applying?
3- How old is your dog?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Is he on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has been licking his anus

Tea Tree antiseptic soothing cream

He is three years old

No pre existing medical conditions

He is not on any medications

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Anne, if he continues to lick he will cause more inflammation in the area. You need to stop him from licking. This is what you can do:

1- Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking the area.
2- Wash affected area with an antibacterial soap. Then, apply a topical hydrocortisone cream, you can find this over the counter in any chemist (pharmacy). Do this 2 times a day for the next 7 days.
3- If no significant improvement within 1-2 days after doing the above I would have your family veterinarian take a look at the sore area.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter