Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my puppy has been acting out of character all day he has sleot

Customer Question

my puppy has been acting out of character all day he has sleot non stop and has taken to hiding and shaking! he has eaten and pooped so all is working there p! he has also been choking/snorting/retching at times as if he is having trouble breathing!what should i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any nasal or eye discharge?
3- Is he hacking like if something is stuck in his throat?
4- How much does he weigh?
5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
6- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
he has been coughing/hacking since yesterday but has. been lethargic just today. his eyes have been very watery today!

this mornign and last night it sounded like he was trying to clear his throat.

he weighs 4 lbs

yes they are ink and no i cant take his tempreture
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Laura, Bruce's behavior is a direct reflection of not feeling well. The fact that he is hacking/coughing I suspect he has a respiratory infection (kennel cough) which is common in young dogs. Highly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian, he may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime, you can pick up Robitussin DM (cough) in your local pharmacy (chemist), give him 1/4 of a teaspoon every 6-8 hours.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter