Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8year old black Labrador Retriever, Max, appears to be drinking

My 8year old black Labrador Retriever, Max, appears to be drinking more water than usual. He weighs approximately 43.05 kilos. Today he has so far consumed 50 fluid ounces of water, is this a healthy amount?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

To calculate the water requirements in dogs we use a formula to calculate energy requirement and replace the kcal for mls. Follow the link below where you can see the formula and a link for water requirement. For a 43.05kg dog he will need 1,881 mls a day. If he has drank 50 ounces that is the equivalent to 1,478 mls.

http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/h2o.htm

It is important to remember that they will also get water from the food. If you are noticing that he is drinking more than usual I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis. Increase in water intake can be a sign of many diseases. Common causes are: Diabetes, kidney or liver disease, infections and even cancer to name a few causes.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter