Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog swallowed a piece of fabric. Was ok but last night vomited

My dog swallowed a piece of fabric. Was ok but last night vomited and had very wet stools. He has eaten and played today but is sleeping a lot and has very bad gas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What type of fabric did he swallow?
2- How big was it?
3- Have you been checking the stool for the fabric?
4- What was in the vomit?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fabric was cotton, came off a dog toy. About the size of a credit card. So far have not seen it in his stools. Vomit was his dinner and some treats my parents had given him. Quite a brown stodgy mess. Did not see the fabric in that either. It was a yellow material so I'm hopeful I would notice it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jo, as you have suspected the concern would be the fabric becoming obstructed. Him having watery diarrhea could be a sign of the fabric being obstructed in the intestinal tract. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- If you do not see the fabric in the stool during the next 24 hours or if he becomes: Lethargic, anorexia, continues to vomit and diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter