Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Hi yesterday I gave my 10 week old french bulldog drontal oral

Hi yesterday I gave my 10 week old french bulldog drontal oral suspension that on the bottle said bbf2015 I noticed that the box said not to be used after 12 weeks of opening (this was not on the bottle). The bottle would have been opened June 2011 She has had quite a lot of loose stools today (about 8) should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

How is Lola acting? Is she lethargic, any vomiting or blood in the stool?

Dr. Altman :

It likely is causing her gi upset from the expiration but I wouldn't expect anything worst than that

Dr. Altman :

I would consider adding some white rice to her meals for the next 24 hours and if she is progressively getting worse by morning then perhaps having your veterinarian evaluate her and make sure there is nothing going on that requires more aggressive therapy for Lola

Dr. Altman :

If you have any pepcid (famotidine) or prilosec (omeprazole) at home then I can calculate a dose for her as an antacid to hopefully settle her stomach

Customer:

No very active and playful. eating and drinking normal - stool just a bit loose shes bombing around the lounge. Should I do it again with in date drontal later?

Dr. Altman :

I would wait a few weeks at this point to redeworm her

Dr. Altman :

Wait until her stools are formed and no issues before repeating with a newer formula

Customer:

i have omeprazole but its for humans??

Dr. Altman :

As long as she is active and happy/ healthy then waiting a 24 hour period with some white rice to bulk up her stools but if that changes then it is time to take this more seriously

Dr. Altman :

Yes, the human formula. How much does Lola weigh please?

Customer:

its tablet form shes 5.2 lbs

Dr. Altman :

And I imagine it is a 20 mg formula?

Customer:

yes capsul form

Dr. Altman :

OK we would need a tablet form not a capsule so that will not work

Customer:

ok i will just do the rice and check in the morning

Dr. Altman :

So just a little white rice and monitoring for improvement at this point

Customer:

yes sounds like a plan

Dr. Altman :

Perfect, how else can I assist you both today?

Customer:

thats it for now

Customer:

many thanks

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome, enjoy your new addition :)

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

yes will do x