Ask a Dog Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
The amount that Finn ingested is about 28 mg/kg of methylxanthines such as theobromide. At this dose you can expect to see mild signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, increased anxiety (heart rate elevation), sometimes muscle tremors
A mild dose is 20-40 mg/kg and moderate is 40-60 mg/kg where you will see more serious signs such as the muscle tremors, sometimes even seizures.
If you note the more serious signs of the tremors, lethargy, increased anxiety it is best to find a veterinary er in your area. If he ingested the chocolate 4-6 hours ago likely you are already seeing the worst of things and it should pass without incident
I will monitor for your response and change formats in a moment if I have not seen your entry to the chat
Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight
Since this has been more than an hour at the highest likelihood then waiting and monitoring tonight is best
You can give some white rice with breakfast tomorrow and reduce the meal by 25% but if he is vomiting no food for 4-6 hours
Should I encourage him to drink water or milk to try to dilute the toxins.? If he shows signs of tremors would i call a vet through the night or wait until the morning. How long will it be before he shows the worst symptoms. My husband estimates he ate it around two hrs ago
No increased water intake is a sign of chocolate toxicity so we do not want to give a lot of water in this situation. And we avoid milk because dogs are quite lactose intolerant and this can exacerbate or increase the risk of diarrhea by morning
Very likely the amount ingested he will have some gi upset overnight but otherwise you should be fine. If he has the tremors and is very anxious or lethargic then yes I would call the vet overnight. If he is trembling/ tremors but is otherwise somewhat normal it can wait until morning
How long will it be before we would see the symptoms?
Within 4-6 hours of ingestion. Often within the first 2-4 hours the earliest of signs
Can I assist with any additional questions today?
There is no chance that this amount could be fatal?
Not from the calculations from the information you have given me
125 grams is 4.4 ounces of milk chocolate for a 12 kg dog
ok thank you very much for your advice.
You are welcome, please let me know how else I can assist you today. If there are any additional questions or if I can clarify anything
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am going to exit to assist others with questions but will return momentarily if you respond with additional questions or comments. If you are satisfied with my responses please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you
sorry was just trying to copy your advice to show to my daughter in the am.