Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

hi there please can you help.my 9 year old cairn terrier weighs

hi there please can you help.my 9 year old cairn terrier weighs approx 12kg and while i was at work has devoured around 125-150 gms of milk chocolate easter egg. 30% cocoa solids. what should i do. it is nearly midnight here! Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

The amount that Finn ingested is about 28 mg/kg of methylxanthines such as theobromide. At this dose you can expect to see mild signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, increased anxiety (heart rate elevation), sometimes muscle tremors

Dr. Altman :

A mild dose is 20-40 mg/kg and moderate is 40-60 mg/kg where you will see more serious signs such as the muscle tremors, sometimes even seizures.

Dr. Altman :

If you note the more serious signs of the tremors, lethargy, increased anxiety it is best to find a veterinary er in your area. If he ingested the chocolate 4-6 hours ago likely you are already seeing the worst of things and it should pass without incident

Dr. Altman :

I will monitor for your response and change formats in a moment if I have not seen your entry to the chat

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

Dr. Altman :

Since this has been more than an hour at the highest likelihood then waiting and monitoring tonight is best

Dr. Altman :

You can give some white rice with breakfast tomorrow and reduce the meal by 25% but if he is vomiting no food for 4-6 hours

Customer:

Should I encourage him to drink water or milk to try to dilute the toxins.? If he shows signs of tremors would i call a vet through the night or wait until the morning. How long will it be before he shows the worst symptoms. My husband estimates he ate it around two hrs ago

Dr. Altman :

No increased water intake is a sign of chocolate toxicity so we do not want to give a lot of water in this situation. And we avoid milk because dogs are quite lactose intolerant and this can exacerbate or increase the risk of diarrhea by morning

Dr. Altman :

Very likely the amount ingested he will have some gi upset overnight but otherwise you should be fine. If he has the tremors and is very anxious or lethargic then yes I would call the vet overnight. If he is trembling/ tremors but is otherwise somewhat normal it can wait until morning

Customer:

How long will it be before we would see the symptoms?

Dr. Altman :

Within 4-6 hours of ingestion. Often within the first 2-4 hours the earliest of signs

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Customer:

There is no chance that this amount could be fatal?

Dr. Altman :

Not from the calculations from the information you have given me

Dr. Altman :

125 grams is 4.4 ounces of milk chocolate for a 12 kg dog

Customer:

ok thank you very much for your advice.

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome, please let me know how else I can assist you today. If there are any additional questions or if I can clarify anything

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman :

I am going to exit to assist others with questions but will return momentarily if you respond with additional questions or comments. If you are satisfied with my responses please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you

Customer:

sorry was just trying to copy your advice to show to my daughter in the am.

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
No worries, just wanted to make sure you didn't need any further assistance :)
I apologize if you are having difficulties viewing my additional responses. I truly hope Finn is alright and has no ill effects from the chocolate incident. I am on-line an additional hour this evening if I can assist you both in any way...