Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Hi, I have a five week old alaskan Klee Kai female pup who

I have a five week old alaskan Klee Kai female pup who has been acting as If she needs to vomit but nothing seems to be coming out.
The mother if the pup has vomitted a course of times today but I have put that down to her eating out of the garbage, could the puppy have cought something through the milk?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years.

I do have soem questions that will help me understand what is going on. What is mom's vaccine history... when was her last parvo/distempter shot.

Is the puppy lethargic? does she have an appetite? Is she coughing and wretching or just kind of dry heaving? Are any other puppies in the litter sick?

Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, there is only one other pup from this litter and he is fine
Mum is up to date with shots etc, she was a couple of times today, only after eating the food came straight back up. I wasn't too concerned a first because she does that sometimes but it has happened more than three times,
Puppy had some diarrhoea yesterday in the evening only once, this evening once we were all in bed the pups had a feed from mum and about ten mins was beginning to sound as if she was going to be sick, nothing came up, she went back to sleep and woke up doing it again but nothing has come up. She doesn't seem too upset but I'm worried to go to sleep incase something is seriously wrong
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
I always worry when puppies this age are sick because they can go downhill so fast.

Besides potential toxins and foreign body ingestion (they don't have access to anything toxic and have not chewed up any toys or beds right?) there are some viral and parasitic infections that could be shared between mom and and the puppies. Most of the viral causes are prevented by vaccines and mom should be passing immunity to these viruses on to the puppies so I think viral infection is not that likely.

There are some parasites, specifically coccidia, that cause vomiting and diarrhea in puppies, but I wouldn't expect mom to be sick from them. Diarrhea is usually the most prominant symptom and vomiting only occurs rarely.

Occationally kennel cough can cause coughing... and the coughing can cause them to have a wretch that looks like they want to vomit.

I would definately separate mom from the puppies for now so that you can better monitor how much they are eating and how they are doing. Keep the puppy drinking because they become dehydrated rapidly with vomiting and diarrhea. Try offering dilute chicken broth to encourage drinking. The puppy can have rice and chicXXXXX XXXXXke mom, just try to make sure the chicken is cut up into small pieces. Puppies can have a single dose of pepto bismol. It is doses at 1cc/pound.

If you find that the puppies abdomen is distended or painful, if she is becoming lethargic, or if he can not hold down clear liquids, then I would consider this an emergency and try to find her veterinary care today. If he does well with conservative care at home today, I would still get here an appointment with a veterinarian tomorrow to check a fecal and do a good exam. The same applies to mom, but I worry more about the puppies because they are so prone to dehydration.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions or need clarification, let me know.

Dr. Stacy

Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years of experience in general practice.