Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

hello, i have a 12 year old XXXXX XXXXX/westie cross with

Customer Question

hello, i have a 12 year old XXXXX XXXXX/westie cross with a collapsed traechea, what will her life span be with a problem like this, and will it be a peaceful end or not. also what can i do to help her through this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lucy.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Is she taking any medication for her condition?

Customer:

no not at the moment

Rebecca :

If it is not terribly severe, and it is managed with medication, a collapsing trachea may not shorten her life.

Customer:

we went to the vet this morning for her jabs, but the vet said she was coping fine at the moment

Rebecca :

And it may not be her cause of death either. With a severe, untreated collapsing trachea, a dog could have an attack of not being able to breathe, and might suffocate to death, but that would be unusual.

Rebecca :

Collapsing trachea can become a "vicious circle": the more they cough, the more inflammation in the trachea, the more they cough.

Rebecca :

So if she is coughing much, I would consider starting her on cough suppressants and anti inflammatory medication.

Customer:

at the moment she is not coughing at all, just noisy breathing and the like

Rebecca :

Usually collapsing trachea does not cough noisy breathing, but a honking cough. Did your vet do a chest Xray?

Customer:

no, we are not happy about lucy being put to sleep, as it takes her about 4 days, to be herself again.

Rebecca :

She does not have to be anesthetized for a chest Xray.

Rebecca :

And you can't tell a dog has a collapsing trachea without an Xray.

Rebecca :

If her only symptom is noisy breathing, and no chest Xray has been taken, this could be something other than a collapsing trachea.

Rebecca :

Is the noisy breathing coming from her nose, or her chest, can you tell?

Customer:

nose and throat

Rebecca :

If from her nose, then she may have a problem in her nose such as polyps, swelling, allergies, etc.

Rebecca :

I would consider a chest Xray, to be sure she done not have fluid in her lungs, an enlarged heart, or other cause of breathing problems. And then you will also know for sure about her trachea.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca