Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my chihuahua has started passing blood in her stools and she

my chihuahua has started passing blood in her stools and she is being sick at times with blood in it. she is 9 years old. what could this be please. thankyou.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Is she lethargic?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

been going on for about a month on and off. not eaten or been into any thing out of the ordinary as i know to.not too lethargic but looks fed up.still enjoys exercise food etc.she is slightly over weight an has no pre existing medical conditions.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, when we see blood in the stool or vomit it is safe to say there is something damaging the wall of the gastrointestinal tract. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Infections, parasites, foreign body, tumors or even part of a systemic disease. To determine the exact underlying your dog will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian blood work and xrays/ultrasound as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test findings. In the meantime start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.2-0.3mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can find pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. Change her diet to rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol, it will make the bleeding worst.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter