Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

Our 13 year old dog Dino is a terrier cross has just been diagnosed

Our 13 year old dog Dino is a terrier cross has just been diagnosed with a Tumor in his hind leg, he had been treated for arthritis with rimadyl since December.since the vet diagnosed the tumor 5 days ago he has been on prednidale alone,I felt he needed some pain relief, so a different vet at the same practice gave him tramadol and said to stop the prednidale as he felt this wasn't going to help this type of tumor and put him back on the rimadyl,I don't want to stop the prednidale if it will slow the growth of the tumor, can I use the tramadol with the prednidale . The tumor has invaded the muscle

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Dino.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear about this recent diagnosis of a tumor.

Dr. Bruce :

Do you know what type of tumor he has? The specific type is very important for prognosis. Some tumors respond better to treatment than others. Is it possible that the tumor can be removed? How large is it? Does it bother Dino (painful, itchy, etc)?

Dr. Bruce :

To answer your specific question. Yes, tramadol and prednidale (steroids) can be given at the same time. The steroid can be very helpful in controlling tumor growth although it won't make the tumor go away. The combination of steroid and tramadol can be very helpful in reducing pain and inflammation.

Dr. Bruce :

If your vet is not able to remove the tumor, it may be worth seeking out a specialist in cancer treatment. There may be options that your vet is not aware of that the specialist can use to help Dino. You can find the nearest oncologist by looking on this website http://www.acvim.org/PetOwners/FindaSpecialist.aspx

Dr. Bruce :

I would also make sure that Dino is on a glucosamine supplement for the arthritis. Also, ask your vet about adequan injections which can also help reduce pain and inflammation from the arthritis. Both the adequan and the glucosamine can be given safely with the tramadol and prednidale.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Dino is feeling better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.