Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

hi i have a 10yr old dog who has just resently stared having

Customer Question

hi i have a 10yr old dog who has just resently stared having bad fits about 4 months ago
he is getting medication from our vet to treat fits and medication for hip pain
but now he seems to be getting worst he is unsteady and falls over we took him back last week for a blood test waiting for results he gave our dog 2 injections in his neck and put him on Keppra now, on picking up from the vets about 4 days ago he leans on things ,and just not him self, we can go on like this watching him getting worst , what can we do
thanks elaine dickens
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello Elaine, I am going to be quite blunt with you I am afraid ...

Scott Nimmo :

When a dog has fits from a young age then it is often the inherited form of epilepsy and it can usually be controlled with drugs ...

Scott Nimmo :

Where fits happen in older dogs like yours then a brain problem such as a tumour is a real possibility

Scott Nimmo :

some of these dogs just get worse and worse despite drugs etc

Scott Nimmo :

The blood tests may reveal a cause sometimes but with strokes and brain tumours etc. this may not be the case

Scott Nimmo :

Often such diagnosis is suspected where the dog is getting slowly worse despite drugs

Scott Nimmo :

I wish I could suggest something but there is little you can do on a home remedy basis, all you can do is to keep working with your vet on this one ...

Scott Nimmo :

I wish I could offer more ...

lets keep talking this way Elaine ...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi scott do you think it would be kinder for me to have ozzy put to sleep

i dont want to see him suffer anymore, and i cant afford a scan because

i am a pensoner, and we dont have lots of money thanks elaine

Hello again Elaine,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Well you have to be advised by your vet who has the advantage over me in that he can examine Ozzy. However if your dog is getting slowly worse despite all the drugs and treatment then sometimes it can be kinder just to let go.

Scans are expensive I know, they may provide a diagnosis in some cases ... but of course this is not a treatment ...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Elaine,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on Ozzy's progress and advise you further if necessary.
If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi scott i took ozzy back to our vet we had a appointment for him to be checked over and get the blood result, but ontaking him there he had more fits, so i made the heart wrenching dission to have ozzy put to sleep feel very upset and guilty at the moment

So sorry to hear your news, I know this is not easy for you but
I am sure you did the right thing ...

Regards,

Scott