Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My 12 month old dog is due to be neutered tomorrow but he had

My 12 month old dog is due to be neutered tomorrow but he had diarrhoea last night and stools are still loose today - should I postpone his surgery?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question about your guy. I wouldn't say that the diarrhea is something that would prevent him from having his neuter surgery at this time. Actually the best thing to do is to still get him to that appointment tomorrow and let them know he's having the loose stools. They will check him over and most likely give the "green light" for proceeding with the neuter. They can at the same time get a stool sample to evaluate what may be the cause there and what treatment is needed to correct it. If he was vomiting, acting really dumpy, not eating - then these would be more of a push to not proceed with the neuter.