Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have a Westie 11 years old. She has a fatty tumour which

I have a Westie 11 years old. She has a fatty tumour which is being taken out next week, it has grown a lot and has gone very hard, the vet said it had suspicious cells in it. Also my groomer said her right side seems bigger than her left. She refuses morning walks, but today refuses afternoon walk aswell. What is wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Boo's situation. I'm assuming your vet aspirated the fatty tumor and looked at some cells from it under a microscope to see the suspicious cells in it. At this time, that surgery to remove it will allow a pathologist to confirm what origin the mass is. Based on that answer, then further treatment options can be presented. As far s her refusing the walks, given her age, she may be having some arthritis develop. A lot of times the history for this is not being as active, not getting up onto chairs or the bed as regularly. As far as the groomer saying her right side seems bigger, that may be possible. To evaluate this, one thing your vet can easily do is to take an abdominal radiograph to look at what they see on the inside. As long as she's continuing to eat well, drink well and be social - her quality of life seems good and I wouldn't say she is suffering. I'm hoping that the further procedures on Boo go well. Before her surgery, I would make sure blood work is checked to rule out any metabolic issues.