Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is not right. Shes drinking more than normal, urinating in the house (even in

My dog is not right. She's drinking more than normal, urinating in the house (even in her bed last night). When I touch her tummy she stiffens so that it is hard to touch. She seems well in every other way and doesn't have a temperature. She'll be 13 next month
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she spayed?
2- Is her abdomen distended?
3- Is she currently on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The responses to Peter's questions don't appear to be getting through and he has now gone offlne.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry Sally, I am here; there must be a problem with the site. Can you try again to respond my questions? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 - Yes 12 years ago

2 - She has a several lumps around her abdomen, she has a number of fatty lumps all over her body (she's a labrador)

3 - No

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sally, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign of an underlying medical problem. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes.
On history alone it will be very difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it was an infection wouldn't she have a temperature?

If it was cancer, would you suggest treatment bearing in mind her age?

Is it normal for her tummy to feel tight when I touch it? Could it just be a natural reaction for her to tense up?

What about her urinating in the house? My last dog had to be put down due to fouling in the house as I was told it was down to a mental issue.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Did you take her rectal temperature? If so, what was it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was 37.7

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sally, though her temperature is normal there could be infections where we don't see a fever, for example a urinary tract infection can cause a dog to drink more than usual and not have a fever.

As far as age, yes, age is a concern when deciding to treat for cancer. It depends on the type of cancer. For example dogs with lymphoma can be treated with prednisone, some will go into remission on prednisone. But, the first thing is getting a diagnosis.

Her urinating in the house is a direct reflection of her increase water consumption. Very common when a dog is drinking more than usual.

It can be a natural reaction to tense up the abdomen when touch. Sometimes it could be a sign of abdominal pain.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter