Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My puppy came running in from the garden about two hours ago

Customer Question

My puppy came running in from the garden about two hours ago and sat coughing and retching - I thought maybe she was choking. She wasn't actually sick.

She hasn't been sick or had any diarrhoea and her gums are pink, breathing seems to be fine.

Since the coughing, she has yelped/whined when moving her head on two separate occasions. She's also been very quiet and going to sleep in all the places that she usually only goes to when scared (e.g. When the Hoover is on). She's just been either very quiet, hanging her head and generally looking unwell or sleeping.

I have put ground black pepper on my plants and pots in the garden today so wondered if that could have produced her symptoms. I am almost scared to go to bed in case I wake up and she's got worst. Please could you advise me. Many thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know if she got into the pepper?
2- Can you open her mouth and see if there is something stuck in her oral cavity?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.