Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has a severe bacterial infection pseudomonas aeruginosa

Customer Question

My dog has a severe bacterial infection pseudomonas aeruginosa and his face and head have lots of hard scabs stuck to his fur, he is on meds from my vet but washing doesn't remove the scabs is there anything safe I can use to soak the fur and soften the scabs to help them to come off and allow air to the skin underneath. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This poor guy! My top recommendation is to use a diluted chlorhexidine solution. Your vet can provide this for you, or you can purchase Hexadene flush (made by virbac) (here is an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Hexadene-Flush-12-oz/dp/B000O5HZ4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399031308&sr=8-2&keywords=hexadene)

Dr. Joey :

I also want to confirm that since this is not clearing that your vet performed a skin biopsy to ensure that this is just an atypical deep infection, and not an unusual immune-mediated condition that will require an immunosuppressive medication to clear/treat. If this has not been done, then this is recommended. At the time of skin biopsy a culture (deep culture) of tissue can be submitted to the lab to know what antibiotic will resolve this. And to rule out fungal infection.

Dr. Joey :

This needs far more than a swab, given the longevity. It needs a biopsy, which is super easy for your vet to do. He would need some light sedation and then a few samples can be taken. These samples would need to be submitted to a dermatopathologist (not the regular pathologist), but your vet should be aware of this.

Dr. Joey :

I am concerned that you are unable to see my replies. I am going to switch us to the Q/A session. And then please let me know if you are able to see my replies. If you feel that you would like a different answer or to speak with another expert, please let me know and I can opt out.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

It appears we are having a difficult time connecting in the live chat. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.