Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

HI, My Dog (Husky) keeps getting an upset stomach. The

Customer Question

HI,

My Dog (Husky) keeps getting an upset stomach. The problem is she keeps going on the carpet.

To give you some history:
She is 4 years old, has never ever (apart from as a pup) been to the toilet in the house before. We have now on 4 occasions been down in the morning to find diarrhea.
She is walked every day for at least an hour and always let out before we go to bed.
She has been on a raw food diet for the past 3 years with no problem.
She commonly has, fish, chicken, oats, rice.

She previously lived with us at my In-laws and she was very spoilt, fed lots of junk along with her normal diet and as a result she was overweight. She is also exceptionally dominant. All of this has begun since we have moved into our own home. My fiance and I are strict with her, in an effort to make her less dominant and generally better behaved (no going in the bedroom, on furniture, not allowed in the kitchen when we are cooking etc...) and we are very careful with her food. She has lost weight and looks better than ever and is being walked more. She is getting far less pandered to.. and it feels as if this could be also a dominant behaviour? She is also weeing on the carpet too, only the nights she has a bad tummy.

This is now the 5th occasion in 2 months. The first time she had an upset tummy she came and woke me up and I let her out. She did this again and few weeks later. However now she just goes on the carpet. I leave the bedroom door open so she can come into me if she needs to. The first time I thought she must have just desperate but now im not so sure...

We are at the end of our teather..
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
Shantal has asked if I would address your question about Cotto and I'll do my best to be of assistance although I do realize it has been some time since you posted your question.

I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Has a stool sample been checked for parasites?
2. What did you worm her with two months ago?
3. When she has accidents in the house, the stools are always loose, is this correct?
4. You mentioned that you feed her a raw diet. Does she receive the same ingredients every day or are they different from one day to the next? Do you purchase prepared raw diet or do you shop for her?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb