Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my dog has crystals in his and is on Royal Cannin food,

my dog has crystals in his urine and is on Royal Cannin food, does he need to be on this diet for ever? Can we wean him off this gradually without harming him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. It really depends on the type of crystals, how long he has had them and if they have ever developed into bladder stones. If he has had bladder stones, he needs to stay on that diet long term, possibly for the rest of his life. If he has had some chronic bladder issues related to increased crystals in the urine, then he would most likely need to stay on that diet long term in that case as well. If the crystals were an incidental finding on a routine urinalysis or developed as a result of a single bladder infection, he may not need to be on it long term. In those cases, I will usually keep them on the diet for a month and recheck urinalysis. If crystals are cleared, I will take them off the diet and recheck again in another month to make sure they haven't come back. If they have, then he would have to be on the diet long term. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any further concerns.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Hello Han,

I'm was just following up to see how Freddy is doing and to see if you have any further questions?

Thanks,
Dr John