Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog was sick last night. And refused breakfast this morning.

Customer Question

My dog was sick last night. And refused breakfast this morning. He appeared to be ok thro the day, and ate his evening meal readily. Since then he has become increasingly restless, seeming not to be able to get comfortable, pacing about. He also has panting bouts from time to time. Advice please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. There's little doubt that Freddie's vomiting, inappetance, restlessness and panting indicate gastrointestinal distress but those symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. The fact that he ate his evening meal readily suggests that he isn't seriously ill, however. Because he isn't likely to be failing if he continues to eat, you can see if an over the counter antacid such as PepcidTwo (famotidine + other antacids)) helps him at a dose of 0.2mg/kg of the famotidine in that product repeated in 12 hour intervals if necessary. Alternatively, omeprazole at 20mg once daily can be administered to Freddie.

His eating grass is consistent with GI distress but shouldn't be allowed. Ingesting non-digestible greens will only cause additional distress and possibly more vomiting. Fasting Freddie for 12 hours may be the only therapy you need to do if his distress arose from a simple dietary indiscretion and you could then avoid a vet visit. Symptoms that persist for more than 72 hours, however, should prompt a vet visit.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.