Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

i have a 12 year old cocker spaniel bitch. she has a problem

Customer Question

i have a 12 year old cocker spaniel bitch. she has a problem with her bladder. I have to get up 2or 3 times a night to let her out and when left for a couple of hours I come home to a puddle on the floor. is there anything I can do to help her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me how long this problem has been going on please?

JACUSTOMER-59ldhm5y- :

about a year

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for that .. Do you think she is drinking excessively?

JACUSTOMER-59ldhm5y- :

quite a bit.

Scott Nimmo :

I thought so, this is often the case where dogs have to go out in the night like that, the problem will be more than likely related to the water intake rather than a primary bladder problem. Please stand by and I will type out a much fuller answer for you ...

JACUSTOMER-59ldhm5y- :

thankyou

Scott Nimmo :

Drinking excessively is pretty well always be a cause for concern in dogs, the chances are some disease process is causing these symptoms rather than it being anything simple.

Scott Nimmo :

What I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I commonly see ...

Scott Nimmo :

1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
5. Cushings syndrome

Scott Nimmo :

Of course the bottom line I am coming to is that since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry I cannot suggest any simple home remedies ...

Scott Nimmo :

But a quick and simple blood test will very often shed light on what is going on and you can take it from there ... .

Scott Nimmo :

That's about as much as I can suggest without examining your dog, can I answer any questions you may have related to my above answer?