Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

I have a 10 year old Pug dog. He has developed about 4 small

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old Pug dog. He has developed about 4 small areas where the hair has hardened and matted (about the size of a £2 coin). Some seem to be weeping, but one is worrying as there is an open hole which I'd deep in his skin. I have bathed it and used Sudacream on it but it isn't healing. There is also some pus in this area.
The vet has seen the matted hair and says it is his immune system which is low but he hasn't seen the open wound. Can I treat this myself or should the vet see it?
He his
He is on Tramidol and Previcox for arthritis. I also have an antibacterial wash from the vets.
I would be grateful for some more information on his condition. Thank you. Beverley Keogh.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with your dog.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that he is having this issue.

Dr. Bruce :

From what you describe, it sounds like he definitely has a deep skin infection. It is very unlikely that he can be treated with just the topical wash that you have. However, if you would like to try to do so, it is imperative that you are able to clean out any of the pus that is is the infected areas. This would mean that you need to remove all the matted fur and rinse out the infection. Ideally, the fur should be clipped and all the mats removed entirely to allow the infected sites to dry out after rinsing.

Dr. Bruce :

I would strongly suggest taking him to the vet for treatment. If what the vet says about the immune system being low is true, then I would recommend having a culture of the pus taken. A culture would allow the vet to determine what specific bacteria is growing in the wound, and what specific antibiotic would be effective against that bacteria.

Dr. Bruce :

Your vet should prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic for use until the culture comes back (typically 3-4 days) so that your dog can begin getting some relief immediately.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that he is feeling better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: Thank you for your reply and the information you have given me. I will follow your advice and clip away the matted bits of hair and then see if this helps. What do you suggest that I put on the one which is an open hole? As it is the Bank Holiday now I won't be able to get to the vets so need to do something myself, especially if he is in discomfort, which he must be. Thank you. Beverley.
Dr. Bruce :

You can clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide once per day, then cover the wound with a triple antibiotic ointment that can be purchased at your local pharmacy with out a prescription.

Customer: Thank you for your advice. My husband and I took an hour yesterday evening cutting away the hair and working on each area. We were then able to really see what was underneath. If we hadn't done this then I do think he would have had more 'holes' developing in his skin. The dog was extremely patient and accepting of what we did which must,
Customer: Thank you for your advice.
Customer: have been painful at times. We took him for a walk and he was so much livelier which indicated to us that exposing the infection and cleaning it out had really helped. Thank you for your advice and we will now buy the antibiotic ointment for him.
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Bruce. I believe I have given you feedback and a rating.
My dog has been so much better since I cut away the hair where it was matted so I could see the sore areas and treat them. I am very grateful that you recommended doing this as I believe the infection would have worsened. Now the open wound has scabbed over and is healing well, as are the other ones.
You recommended an antibiotic cream which you said I could purchase at a pharmacy, but in this country it is not available except on prescription. I have been spraying these areas with Savlon which is a dry medication and seems to be helping heal the skin.
Yesterday I bathed him with a special wash I got from my vets as there are still small areas on his skin which, if left untreated, could, I feel, develop into bigger sores.
In your opinion, is this happening because his immune system is poor?
Is there anything further I can do to ensure his skin returns to normal?
I would be grateful for any other advice you may have. Thank you so much. Beverley.