Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I recued a spaniel who had been starved 6 months ago she only

Customer Question

I recued a spaniel who had been starved 6 months ago she only weighed 7.3 kg she is slowly putting on weight but her tummy constantly makes loud sounds like gurgling and you can see her tummy moving. She is now 19 months old and we had her spayed in March thank you for your help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The sounds you're hearing are called borborygymus and are caused by the movement of gas and liquid through Bella's gastrointestinal tract. Seeing that motion, however, would indicate excessive motility which might suggest a food intolerance, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), gastrointestinal parasitism, or excessive gas formation perhaps due to a gas-forming bacterial infection.

Whether or not you need to do anything about these findings would be predicated upon whether or not Bella is symptomatic in other ways - vomiting and/or diarrhea, e.g. - or appears to be uncomfortable - if her quality of life is suffering in other words. Avoiding foods containing soy may be all you need to do to reduce the amount of gas in her GI tract. Presumptively worming her with an over the counter product that contains pyrantel pamoate or fenbendazole should be considered. A true food intolerance, however, is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Bella's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please let me know if you think Bella appears to mind her borborygymus and moving tummy and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for replying what you have said is exactly like Bella her tummy moving and the noises don't seem to bother her at all. She is sometimes sick maybe once or twice a month but she only brings a small amount up and it is only liquid no food. Is there anything I could buy to calm her tummy. She is perfectly fit and happy always wagging her tail and is it possible because she was starved that this could cause her tummy to make noises. Once again thank for all your help

You're quite welcome. It doesn't sound as if Bella is overly concerned about her tummy. If you'd like to see what might quiet her GI tract you might try one of two approaches. The first is an antacid such as omeprazole. You can find this over the counter and give Bella 20mg at bedtime for a week and see if it makes a difference.

The second drug to try is the over the counter Gravol (dimenhydrinate) at a dose of 4-8mg/kg every 8 hours. If neither are of value, trying a hypoallergenic diet as I mentioned above is worth a try.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your answer I will certainly try omeprazole if not the Gravol will it be ok if I contact you to let you know the results. Once again thank you for all your help x

You're quite welcome. I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr, I have been trying to get the medication you suggested for Bella but have been told by the Pharmacy that I can only get it on prescription have you any advise please thank you

You should be able to find an over the counter antacid containing famotidine which is dosed at 0.2mg/kg twice daily. PepcidTwo is such a product in the UK. It contains famotidine and two other ingredients that also work as antacids. You would dose it at 0.2mg/kg of the famotidine twice daily and don't worry about those other ingredients.

It's curious that we can purchase over the counter omeprazole in the States...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the present time I have broken my knee cap and we live 25 miles from the nearest town but am going on a coach trip to Doncaster Tuesday so am seeing if I can get them there either in a chemist or pet shop. Thank you for such excellent replies and also how quick you are wished you live near mw as would definitely have you as our vet for both my dogs. Once again thank you for excellent service and I will let you know how Bella gets on. x

Oh my goodness. My wishes for a speedy recovery and thank you for your kind words. I have a follow-up set for 05/25.