Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my dog is always eating grass/leaves and always on the mooch

Customer Question

my dog is always eating grass/leaves and always on the mooch for food. and rubbing back end along caepet? what could be wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Roxy. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

The most common reason for a dog to "scoot" or rub his back end on carpet or flooring, are impacted, infected, or inflamed anal glands.

Rebecca :

I would have his anal glands checked ( they are inside the anus, and can't be seen) by a groomer or veterinarian.

Rebecca :

Eating grass and leaves is common in dogs. We are not sure why they like to eat grass, and it can make them vomit. It does not seem to indicate anything lacking in their diets. They just seem to like it! When I lived where we had grass (none here in the desert) every spring my dogs (and cats!) would look like cows, eating the grass.

Rebecca :

Having impacted or inflamed anal glands can be caused by a food allergy. If he is allergic to grass or the leaves, there could be a connection. I have had some dogs with recurrent anal gland problems get better with a diet change.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you can see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I will try another way to connect with you if I do not hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I hope you now can see what I am writing.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the positive rating.

Rebecca