Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My little dogs skin has turned black has tiny dark spots in

My little dogs skin has turned black has tiny dark spots in areas is losing hair. Constant irritation, biting mainly and licking, but also scratches a lot. Sensitive to stroke ( like catching a nerve )
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did your vet do any testing on him like blood work, skin scrapping, etc.?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Is he currently on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this has been ongoing now for about 18-24 months. So far no skin scraping and no blood work. These processors are very expensive and I had just spend over £300 for his teeth to be cleaned. He is approx. 10kg and not on any medications

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Eileen, the black skin you are seeing is called "hyperpigmentation." This usually occurs secondary to an inflammatory process secondary to infections, allergies, etc. What happens is that inflammatory cells (macrophages) release melanin during the inflammatory response. The black color will most likely not go away, it is not harmful just a consequence of inflammation. The fact that he responded favorably to prednisone I would suspect that allergies is the most likely cause. When it comes to allergies it can be caused by food or environmental allergens. Dogs will often develop allergies toward food they have had a lot of in the past. If cost is a concern the first place to start would be by doing a food trial for 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish then put him on a food that has fish. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. As treats you can give veggies like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. No table food.

2- Start him on Chlorpheniramine 4mg every 8-12 hours. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

3- Continue on Primose oil as directed by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter