Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my cavalier is limbing left front leg when pressing in arm

Customer Question

my cavalier is limbing left front leg when pressing in arm pit she crys my vet has put her on carprofen shes on second day could this be arthrits can l give pain killers to her so worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

You did not say how old your sweet girl is but she is in pain and this could be an aggravated arthritis from moving the wrong way or this could be an injury. The Carprofen is a good anti inflammator agent but your vet can add Tramadol along with the Carprofen to help decrease your sweet girl's pain and discomfort. Ask your vet about this if the pain continues and have them xray this area so you know for sure what is causing her discomfort.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lady will be 5 years old in Oct.

Can I give her junior calpol as I cannot get to the vet until Tuesday due to the bank holiday her in the UK?

Regards Lynda

Hi Lynda....sorry but you cannot give Junior calpol to dogs. It contains Paracetomol which can be toxic to dogs and since Lady is already being given Carprofen, this is not good. Give the Carprofen a few more days to take effect. If this pain is due to arthritis, Lynda, you cab also give Glucosamine/Chondroitin as a daily supplement that can be purchased at the pet store. This will add lubrication to her joints to decrease pain.

Thank you so much, Lynda, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Lady feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!