Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My XXXXX XXXXX has a completely bare patch on the side of

My XXXXX XXXXX has a completely bare patch on the side of her neck. It does not seem to be bothering her & there are no other such patches anywhere else. She does often roll in fox poo when out on a walk & it is almost always on her neck Can you help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did this lesion show up quickly or gradually over weeks?
3- Is there any redness, flaky, crusty on the skin?
4- Is the area raised or swollen?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) Only just noticed it as not bothering her

2)Not Sure

3)No the skin is smooth & pink her normal skin colour as she is mostly white

4) No not raised or swollen

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Linda, the hairless region you are seeing is not related to Fox feces. The fact that the skin appears normal my first thought is that she could have rubbed on a surface that literally shaved the skin off. Less likely there could be localized infections that can appear in the same manner like mites (demodex), fungal infections, etc.
I would recommend you keep an eye in the area for the next week or so. If it continues to spread then I would have your family vet take a look at the area and perform a skin scrapping and fungal culture as initial screening test. But, if you see hair growing back then that would be consistent with an abrasion and the hair will grow back in the next few weeks.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter