Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a small Norwich Terrier, just 6m old, 12 lb in weight,

Customer Question

I have a small Norwich Terrier, just 6m old, 12 lb in weight, who is having their final rabies shot and will have all the correct vacinations and paperwork for travel. I want to take him in the plane with me in a small bag, to sit under the seat in front of me. I can't find anyone who can help me do this as all the official organisations tell me he has to go in the hold of the plane. Can you please direct me to a specialist pet company that might be able to help me? Thank you. Lizzie Vann
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your having trouble flying with Keith. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Every airline has different regulations. It looks like British Airways only takes pets, checked as baggage, in the hold. If you have to fly British Airways, you have to go by their rules. No specialist pet company or veterinarian can make them change their rules.

The only way around that is to find an airline that allows pets in the cabin, but it looks like from my search that none of the UK airlines do. Here is the list of ones that do allow them in the cabin: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=British+airlines+pet+policy&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=airlines+that+allow+pets+in+the+cabin&rls=en

More searching; it seems it is a regulation of the UK not allowing dogs in the cabins of planes; even US carriers that allow them can't on flight to the UK.

If you can have a physician declare him a service dog, that has to fly with you, then they have to allow him in the cabin. You have to find a doctor or psychologist that will sign papers stating that you need him for a medical, emotional, or psychological reason.

This sounds like an unfair policy, but those seem to be the regulations. Getting him declared a service dog is your only real chance.

Let me know if I can research or answer anything else about him.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Lizzie,
How are you doing about flying with Keith?

Rebecca