Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

hi,just taken on a 12month old labrador 3 days ago,he ate for

hi,just taken on a 12month old labrador 3 days ago,he ate for the first 2 days but now refuses to eat.we have another older labrador.could you advise please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry you have not been assisted in a more rapid time period

Dr. Altman :

My recommendation is two fold. You can try supplementing with either the canned that you prefer not to feed then tapering it over a week (or adding white rice as an alternative) or simply waiting him out. A dog can go quite a period of time without eating (1+ week) and if he gets hungry enough he will eat the food provided. Ensuring he is getting plenty of exercise to stimulate the appetite it can take a little adjustment and time to get him eating consistently

Dr. Altman :

It is fairly common for a dog to come into a new household and not eat a few days after moving in. If you would like to avoid the canned food or supplements then I would urge you to increase his exercise and wait out the inappetance if you can. If there is simply no change within 48 hours then you might consider enticing him with something in his food for a few days...

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats to ensure you are able to view my responses

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Hopefully this format is more readily viewable. Please let me know how else I can assist you both