Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Why wont my puppy sleep at night ? He whimpers all night and

Customer Question

Why won't my puppy sleep at night ? He whimpers all night and won't sleep in his bed unless I'm also in the kitchen.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
You've nicely described the reason for his not sleeping peaceably when you're not there - separation anxiety of a puppy - a very common finding. You have two alternatives...you can bring his bed into your bedroom which would logistically solve the problem or you can address his anxiety with "tough love".

Tough love implies that you don't reinforce his whimpering by returning to the kitchen to check on him or sleep directly outside the kitchen where he's certain to know you're there and wondering why you're not coming to see him. Both Urrgh and you will be miserable for a few days until Urrgh realizes that you're not coming to see him when he whines. I understand that this approach won't be pleasant but it can save a lifetime of frustration for the two of you.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.